Moving house is a time of upheaval. Here are some tips to keep you from losing your important items, documents or for that matter, your mind!
- Make sure the home you are moving to is ready for you. Have utilities such as water, electricity, etc. activated in advance.
- Remember to switch off utilities at your old home so you don’t end up owing money for what you didn’t use.
- Send notice of your change in address to the relevant parties.
- Take your time as you pack. Be organized and label things. Try to keep important documents on your person rather than packed away in boxes.
- Check out your moving company to make sure they are reputable. To save money you could hire a truck and move your possessions yourself, with some friends.
- You may be able to get insurance to cover damaged, lost or stolen belongings.